On 28th October 2015 the joint-venture contract between Kakamega Dairy Development Company and smart|dairy Coöperatief U.A was signed in Kakamega, Kenya. With the signage all parties agreed that dairy farming is feasible in the Kakamega region. smart|dairy (Kenya) Ltd. was officially established. During the first board meeting Mr. Finlay Campbell was appointed to be the Chief Executive Officer and was given the mandate and task to establish the first 4 Farm-in-the-Box™ units early 2016 and then 4 more every month.
smart|dairy focuses on high growth emerging markets in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Feasibility studies are undertaken together with potential partners to ensure that the smart|dairy approach can be implemented successfully. Key criteria for success are:
- An average temperature of 25 – 30 degrees.
- Sufficient rainfall throughout the year.
- Privately owned farming land of around ten acres per farm of 25 cows.
- Possibility to set up a hub of farm units of around 25 cows.
- Infrastructure supporting development of economical and sustainable dairy farming.
- Dairy products are part of the daily diet.
- Dairy market in excess of 2,0 b litres of milk and a sizable market for high quality dairy products.
Does your region meet the key criteria for success and would you like to start a smart|dairy joint-venture, contact us.